Welcome to the PADILLA BAY FOUNDATION
THE FOUNDATION IS ALL ABOUT ENHANCING THE RESERVE
The Padilla Bay Foundation was created to enhance the Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve’s mission-driven projects and programs – to make things happen that federal and state funding could not. That mission focuses on improving the estuarine ecosystems in the Puget Sound region through research, monitoring, training, education and stewardship.
The Foundation applies for grants and receives generous donations from our community to fund Reserve initiatives such as:
- Bringing school children to the Reserve for “mudflat safaris”
- Hiring seasonal education staff and interns
- Training teachers to use climate science lessons in their classes
- Adding microscopes to enhance education and research
- Repairing the monitoring and sampling buoy
- Offering free public education lectures and classes
- Furnishing the guest house and Stevens Center
- Providing stipends to college students for summer research projects
- Contributing to the new touch pool exhibit
Since 1987, when the Foundation obtained 501(c)3 non-profit status, the organization has raised over $600,000 for Reserve programs!
The Foundation is overseen by a board of dedicated volunteers with a variety of skills and backgrounds. But they all have one thing in common – they love our Padilla Bay Estuary.