Welcome to the PADILLA BAY FOUNDATION
THE FOUNDATION IS ALL ABOUT ENHANCING THE RESERVE
The Padilla Bay Foundation was created to enhance the Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve’s mission-driven projects and programs – to contribute to the Reserve’s programs in ways that federal and state funding are not able to. We support PBNERR programs by engaging our community and attracting members, talented volunteers and staff who are vital in acquiring valuable supplemental resources.”
That mission focuses on improving the estuarine ecosystems through research, monitoring, training, education and stewardship.
The Foundation applies for grants and receives generous donations from our community to fund Reserve initiatives such as:
- Bringing school children to the Reserve for “mudflat safaris”
- Hiring seasonal education staff and interns
- Training teachers to use climate science lessons in their classes
- Adding microscopes to enhance education and research
- Repairing the monitoring and sampling buoy
- Offering free public education lectures and classes
- Furnishing the guest house and Stevens Center
- Providing stipends to college students for summer research projects
- Contributing to the new touch pool exhibit
Since 1987, when the Foundation obtained 501(c)3 non-profit status, the organization has raised over $627,000 for Reserve programs and valuable matching funds for construction projects (such as the touch pool now underway)!
The Foundation is overseen by a board of dedicated volunteers with a variety of skills and backgrounds. But they all one thing in common – they love our Padilla Bay!